Parish Council Executive Board – 2014
- Priest – Fr. Christos L. Pappas, Protopresbyter
- President – Agisilaos Triantafyllopoulos
- 1st Vice President – Panagiotis Sardis
- 2nd Vice President - Themmy Kontolios
- Treasurer – George Hristofidis
- Assistant Treasurer – Michael Siderias
- Secretary – Maria Bournias
- Assistant Secretary – Kostas Rakkou
Parish Council Board Members – 2014
- Gus Chafos
- Rosalea Drivas
- Leonidas Karkantzelis
- Chris Kanakis
- Dimitri Kontolios
- Stelios Kontolios
- George Motsios
- George Panaretos
- Costas Poulos
- George Poulos (Zafirakopoulos)
- Stelios Socratous
Parish Council Committees – 2013
C. Kanakis (President) and M. Siderias (Treasurer)
- Archives: Executive Board
- Pangari: *G. Panaretos, G. Poulos and G. Motsios
- Budget: *M. Siderias and G. Hristofidis
- Iconographies, Icons and Church Items: *G. Hristofidis, S. Kontolios, G. Panaretos and G. Apergis
- Legal : *M. Siderias, M. Bournias, D. Koniarelis and S. Kalogeras
- Maintenance & Building: *G. Chafos, G. Panaretos, L. Karkantzelis and G. Apergis
- Master Plan & New Construction: *D. Kontolios, P. Sardis, C. Poulos and C. Vardakis
- Membership & Membership Lists: *M. Bournias, L. Drivas, S. Socratous and E. Liapis
- Personnel: *G. Hristofidis, M. Siderias and G. Chafos
- Polychronis Foundation and Estate: *M. Siderias, G. Chafos, M. Bournias and S. Kontolios
- Fellowship Hour: *A. Triantafyllopoulos, G. Poulos, M. Siderias and S. Socratous.
P. Sardis (1st Vice-President) and M. Bournias (Secretary)
- Annual Dance: *S. Kontolios, S. Socratous, R. Drivas and E. Liapis
- Festival(s): *S. Kontolios, C. Poulos, N. Kolokithas, C. Kalognomas, L. Karkantzelis, G. Hristofidis, A. Triantafyllopoulos, G. Motsios and G. Poulos
- Fundraising: *P. Sardis, D. Kontolios, M. Siderias, L. Drivas, M. Bournias, C. Vardakis, I. Georgiadis, M. Antoniou, M. Antoniou and G. Hristofidis
- Journal: *M. Bournias, D. Kolokithas, B. Anastassatos, Chrystalla Kanakis, L. Drivas, G. Poulos, S. Socratous and T. Kontolios
- Newsletter: *M. Bournias and A. Perdikos
- New Year’s Dance: *A. Triantafyllopoulos, S. Socratous and G. Poulos
- Palm Sunday: *D. Kontolios, C. Poulos, C. Kalognomas, N. Kolokithas, L. Karkantzelis and T. Kontolios
- Purchasing: *G. Hristofidis and M. Siderias
- Car Raffle: *G. Hristofidis, C. Poulos, S. Socratous, E. Liapis and Chrystalla Kanakis
- Raffles: *E. Liapis, T. Kontolios and L. Drivas
- Volunteers: *G. Hristofidis, M. Bournias and G. Panaretos
G. Panaretos (2nd Vice-President) and L. Drivas (Assistant Secretary)
- Bookstore: *R. Drivas, X. Gabriel and D. Yfantis
- Community & Cultural Works: *R. Drivas, M. Bournias and E. Liapis
- G.O.Y.A.: *G. Motsios, A. Triantafyllopoulos and L. Karkantzelis
- J.O.Y / H.O.P.E: *E. Liapis
- Greek School: *S. Socratous, D. Kontolios and P. Sardis
- Public Relations: *M. Siderias and C. Vardakis
- Community Circle: *T. Kontolios and L. Drivas
- Greek Independence Day Parade (ΝΥ): *S. Socratous, A. Triantafyllopoulos, L. Karkantzelis, G. Poulos and C. Poulos
- Catechism School: *E. Liapis
- Website: *P. Sardis and M. Bournias
- Inclusion Awareness Sunday: *M. Bournias, E. Liapis and L. Drivas
* = Chairperson of committee
Parish Council Information
The Parish Council is the body of practicing Orthodox Christians sacramentally in good standing with the Church, elected by the members of a parish for the purpose of working together with the priest in fulfilling the goals and needs of that parish. The Parish Council is a sacred office that requires total love, loyalty and dedication to our Holy Orthodox Church. A Parish Council member is an official representative of the Church, and as such is expected to exert every effort to exemplify its sacred character and spirit. Upon being elected to this trusted office one assumes three basic obligations which will help guide them in making the many decisions and policies that will be their responsibility during their tenure.
The obligations of a Parish Council member are as follows:
- To know and uphold the sacred tenets of Holy Scripture and the teachings and traditions of the Greek Orthodox Church;
- To know and abide by the uniform parish regulations as set forth by the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America through its biennial Clergy-Laity Congresses.
- To live by and uphold the oath of office by utilizing the God-given talents and energies for the spiritual progress and advancement of the parish.
The role that is played as a member of Parish Council is best understood, however, when the parish is viewed as one part of the total structure of the overall Church. Misunderstandings can occur when the Church is looked upon purely from a local or parochial point of view. To be sure, the needs of the local parish are the most immediate concern of the parish council, but to see only this, and fail to comprehend the role of the parish in the overall life and structure of the Church is like one family member showing no interest in or responsibility for the problems and needs of other members of the family.
Parish Council members are elected for three-year terms by the congregation of the community. Any Orthodox Christian who participates in the spiritual life of the church and the work of our community with a satisfied parish obligation may become a member of the Parish Council. There are 18 members with nominations for elections occurring during the General Assembly Meeting every November, with elections in December, and swearing into office in January. The newly formed council in January elects their officers for the year.
The Parish Council members are the first people encountered when entering the narthex to pray or to visit the church. They are responsible for the order and peace of the congregation during the Liturgy and to arrange and assist with the candles. For better completion of the various programs within our parish, there are several committees addressing the church’s various needs. Each committee is appointed annually by the President of the Parish Council at the first meeting in January. Committee members may be members of the Parish Council or a member of the community.
The main concern of the Parish Council is securing the financial stability to sustain the operating costs of the church. As parishes are not funded by the state or federally, the needs of our parish are covered mainly by the generosity of our community. The continuing practice of our members showing their love and commitment encourages our community to move forward with optimism as we expand for the growth for our future generations and our youth. In addition to each parishioner’s annual parish obligation, all donations offered for candles and trays during service truly make a positive impact in supporting the operating expenses of our church and as such, we are eternally grateful for any manifestation of love (economic, intellectual or moral).
The events organized by the Parish Council include the following: (1) participation in the NYC national annual Greek Independence Day parade, (2) Palm Sunday luncheon, (3) preparation and organization of the annual festival in June, (4) organization of the anniversary dance in November and (5) organization of the New Year’s Eve dance. If there are any questions or concerns, please contact any member of the Parish Council. The most convenient method is to approach a Parish Council member after mass during coffee hour. In addition, the Parish Council has liaison officers appointed to the ministries and organizations of our church. New members on our board or as part of our committees are ALWAYS welcome! Inquire with a board member or the church office.